Thursday, November 26, 2009

UNCLE SPOOKY FB Contest winner



Recently we set out to work on a new project. We decided that a creative way to get some outside influence would be through an art contest on Facebook. We can't tell you what the project is at this time however we can tell you a bit about a little character by the name of Uncle Spooky. Brad McCartin aka UNCLE SPOOKY is a graphic designer from Australia that has a decorated past in design. The overall response was insane from the contest. However UNLCE SPOOKY took the gold. So without further a due we would like to introduce you to him through a little bio. 
- BRIEF HISTORY -
Uncle Spooky's is a North Queensland based Apparel Company owned and designed by local Designer/Illustrator Brad McCartin. Australian born of Irish/German decent, son to an auctioneer, nephew to a firearms dealer, I gained an interest for guns, horror films and metal at an early age. These interests have continued to grow in my life and have become quite a recognised influence throughout many of my designs.
"I was the type of kid that use to stand in the horror section of the local video shop just frothing over video jackets. The artwork and photo imagery is no doubt what first attracted me to both horror and metal, bands such as 'Iron Maiden' and 'Megadeth' basing their core image around sinister characters like 'Eddie' and 'Vic'. I use to draw that shit in my school books all the time growing up, loved it."

During my highschool years in the mid 90's I spent time living in New York where I ventured more into street fashion and gained a strong interest in the streetwear industry. On my return I attended Design College Australia where I went on to win the TYPOGRAPHY AWARD for my graduating class of 2000. This would see to it that my passion for typography, hand lettering and general design would not only become stronger, but also become my career.
"When I design, I rarely design with the majority of public in mind, I just design what I like. If that means not being as 'popular' as other labels due to my choice not to follow suit, then so be it. There is FAR to many 'Knuckle Dusters' and 'Iron Crosses' floating around on labels that have no real roots to which either of these icons stem from. They are just straight up cashing in, plain and simple."
 
- THE NAME, WHERE DOES IT COME FROM? -
Well, the name goes back as far as 1998 during my high school days. Originally I created Uncle Spooky as a character for a comic book that was never completed, or taken much further than a few random sketch sheets. I seemed to just start drawing him more like 80's skate labels would say 'The Bones Brigade', instead of an overall character. The comic idea was therfore dropped, and the character was used otherwise.
"I wanted it to be almost like Phantasm meets Scarface, a rich blend of both horror and the underworld. Don't ask me why, they were just two interests of mine that when combined formed something unique. Unique has always sat just fine with me, no matter how bizzare it may sometimes seem."
I started using him as an icon for a clothing project I was working on back in 1999, where he would be the mascot for the brand. A cannibalistic mob boss that smoked cigars and indulged in rich trimmings, yet was an utterly repulsive fiend. However, the use and focus on Uncle Spooky as a main icon for the brand was to be short lived. Instead just his name would continue, establishing the label as UNCLE SPOOKY'S APPAREL CO.

If you would like to see more about this super rad designer you can go check out his website at http://unclespookys.com.au. In the very near future we will be stocking his product on the Metzger site so stay tuned.

No comments: